I think this post couldn’t come at a better time. I usually start the year highly motivated, but this last week kind of wrecked it. I’m not sure if it was the weather, or what I call the “media blues” (everything on the news and feed is so dang depressing), or hormones – but I was in a funk.
This happens ever so often. There have been a lot of things not going my way. My to-do list is growing faster than I can handle. It’s been an easy spiral to said funk, and I’m quite aware of it. It’s made me feel inadequate and mediocre in most aspects of my character.
It’s at this point I know something needs to change. So what does one do to be rid of this mood? I’d thought I’d share a list of things I do to stay motivated when life is really getting me down. I’m still building the list of course, not all of it works every single time – but I know that it’s a step in the right direction, even when I feel like I have no direction!
- Call a friend. You know, the one who is possibly doing more crazy ambitious stuff in a shorter timeframe than you and is “killin’ it”. I have this one – she’s the most organized person I’ve ever met and I absolutely love her for it. She’s great at keeping me focused on long-term goals and making sure I don’t sweat the small stuff. Instead of wishing I was like her and all her glorious get-it-done attitude, I try to learn from her and efficient ways. Make sure this friend is a real friend, and not someone who is going to put you down or make you feel even more guilty.
- Take a shower. It probably sounds silly, but this does work for me. Just getting up and getting fresh changes my mindset. It’s sort of like a cleansing of the mind along with the physical cleansing too. It’s sort of like a reset button for me. This is why I usually shower in the morning, so that it starts my day off right.
- Make a list. Of course! I try writing down everything that is on my mind, and all the things I need to do. I start in no certain order, just whatever is floating around in the noggin. After I feel like I’ve gotten it down on paper and in front of me, then I can organize and prioritize! I usually keep a running list of “to-do’s” in my planner, but sometimes I just need to re-write it and start new.
- Pray. Whether or not you are religious, taking time to just breathe and talk out the stress will help! I believe in God, and I’m forever thankful that he’s there for me to talk to – especially those days when I don’t want to hear people give me advice, and I just want someone to listen. He’s the best listener out there! This usually helps me calm down, and refocus on what is important. It may not be motivational per say, but it does help me level out.
- Keep some quotes around. I met a classmate once who had a sticker on his computer that said “work hard, stay humble” on it. I thought it was such a good idea, since I look at my computer every single day – what a good reminder! I don’t have much of an office space right now, but I have a goal that when I set up one, I will integrate motivational quotes into the setting. Really, I could do this anywhere – maybe my vanity mirror or the bathroom, or even the kitchen sink!
- Keep a list of your long term goals. This year I have done that! I made a list of resolutions, and I look at them once in a while so that I can remind myself of what all my hard work is going toward.
Thats my list, but I’m always looking for more ways to stay motivated/ Tell me, what do you do to stay motivated? Comment below!